Planning & Codes Department
Welcome to the City of Tullahoma Planning & Codes Department. The Planning Department provides services for all planning and zoning activity within the City of Tullahoma. Services provided include administration of zoning ordinances and subdivision regulations.
The department is also responsible for current and long-range planning, geographic information systems (GIS) and Floodplain Management programs. Planning review includes looking at both how land is used and how buildings are built. Our Department and our partners work together to review project proposals for development in Tullahoma.
- Promote the orderly growth, development and improvement of the city through development review and land use planning and regulations
- Promote safety, livability and economic vitality through efficient and collaborative application of development codes
- Safeguard public health, property and welfare by regulating the planning and use of land and structures within the City of Tullahoma
- Support community vitality and protect life, property, and natural resources by promoting compliance with applicable codes and regulations
- Provide cooperative and responsive internal and external customer service
- Process all Department functions efficiently
- Create a collaborative workplace that promotes mutual respect through trust, fairness and open communication
- Dedication to serving the public
- Pride in our work
- Care for the long-term viability of our community
- Recognition of worth, quality and importance of each employee and member of the community
- Support of continual learning, education and innovation
The Building Codes Division ensures the health and safety of Tullahoma residents through the consistent application of adopted building codes, inspections of new and renovated structures, and property maintenance standards. The division oversees all residential and commercial construction beginning with the review of plans through on-site inspections, and to the issuance of a certificate of occupancy for the safe use and habitation of the structure.
What are Building Codes?
Building codes play an important role in maintaining safe communities. Each community adopts a building code to protect the health, safety, and welfare of building occupants. Architects refer to the code for guidance when designing buildings. Structures within the community that conform to the locally adopted building code are safer, healthier, and better for the buildings’ occupants and the wider community.
Communities adopt Building Code regulations to maintain a safe and healthy built environment. Codes set the standard for structures within the community for construction, maintenance, and occupancy. Building codes are minimum requirements that help safeguard the health, safety, and welfare of all building occupants. The codes govern the design, construction, remodeling, and maintenance of structures.
Buildings within a community must conform to the rules stated in the adopted building code. Codes apply to all structures, including homes, multi-family buildings, commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings. Sometimes, structures like public schools are covered under separate code requirements.