Can you explain the terms "grandfathering" and "non-conforming", as well as how they apply?

If you have a property with a building or use on it that has been established for quite a while but does not meet (conform to) our zoning regulations (maybe setbacks, height, property size, etc.), or you have a business that is not expressly permitted for a given zone district and that building or business existed prior to the zoning regulation, you may have a "non-conforming" building or business. It may therefore be "grandfathered" and allowed to continue and to some extent potentially expanded.

Please note that any changes to a non-conforming building or use must first be approved by the Tullahoma Planner. In such a case, you must provide convincing evidence that proves when the non-conformity came into existence. This might include business records, pictures, affidavits, etc.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find out if my property is located in unincorporated Coffee County, Franklin County, or Tullahoma? Why is that important?
2. How is my property zoned?
3. When should I apply for a zoning permit?
4. How can I found out the rules for developing or making use of my property?
5. How do I know if my proposal complies with the zoning ordinance?
6. What is a Comprehensive Land Use Plan, and what is it used for?
7. Can you explain the terms "grandfathering" and "non-conforming", as well as how they apply?